From 9th May, Harpenden Sling Library’s venue will be changing. Our new venue will be Southdown Family Centre (Harpenden) , Dark Lane, Harpenden, Herts, AL5 1QB. We will still meet at the same time; every Monday (except holidays) from 10 till 11.45am. We look forward to meeting you all there and would like to take this opportunity to thank Nick, the Landlord of the Skew Bridge Inn for kindly hosting us over the past year or so.
Want to hold your baby close and still have your hands free?
Fancy getting around places without lugging a heavy car seat or struggling to fit a pushchair into small spaces?
Looking for a way to carry your baby that promotes physical development?
Babywearing is the method of carrying a baby or toddler close to an adult’s body using a supporting device. There are many types – slings, wraps, structured baby carriers to name just a few. We have lots of different carriers to try out and hire.
If you’re interested why not get in touch or come along to our open sessions on Mondays!
Harpenden Sling Library T&C’s of Hire October 2019
All slings, carriers and accessories remain the property of Harpenden Sling Library .
Membership /Loan Form
A membership form is completed at time of hiring to consist of hirer contact details, carrier hired, loan fee and duration. Members are assigned a membership number as means of future identification. Proof of ID is required at time of hiring
Non members will complete a Standard hire sheet with details as above. Proof of ID is required at time of hiring
Personal details are kept in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and will only be used to contact hirer in relation to the loan.
Loan Cost and Duration
- All carriers are lent subject to our discretion, availability, condition and suitability.
- Subject to availability, up to 2 carriers maybe borrowed at one time. Once a carrier is returned another loan may be made.
- The standard loan period is 2 weeks. Longer hires are available and special hire rates are offered.
- Members- £10 annual joining fee, 2 weeks free hire of 1 carrier/ free fitting of own sling. Non members hire is £5 per week and £3 to demo/fit/trouble shoot own carrier.
- Non members- a deposit for each carrier hired is required, amount is dependent on value of the carrier or accessory be and will be returnable in full, following the timely return of the carrier or accessory undamaged. At our discretion, deposits may be reduced or waived.
- Payment Methods: Cash or cheque
- Late returns will be charged at £2.50 (members) and £5 (non-members) per week for each week past the agreed return date until the date that you contact us and agree a resolution. These fees may be deducted from your deposit in case of non members.
- It is often possible to renew your loan, with payment made by cash, please email us.
- Under certain circumstances we may reduce/ waive fines for late returns as long as YOU have contacted us and we are fully satisfied with the reason.
- If we do not hear from you within 30 days from the return date of your loan (reminder sent after each no show session), we will assume the carrier is lost/ stolen and go through the small claims court to claim back our loss.
- If you are unable to return your carrier by the agreed date due to Library staff illness or holidays, we will extend your loan period free of charge and agree a new returns due date with you.
Damaged or lost carriers
- The replacement of any lost carriers or accessories must be paid for by the hirer. Charges for missing or lost components will be equal to replacement cost (including any postage costs). Charges for items damaged beyond normal wear and tear will be judged on a case by case basis.
Condition of Carrier
- All carriers are checked before lending to ensure that they are in good condition and working order. The borrower must check the condition of the carrier prior to the start of the loan and must confirm on the loan form that it is in working order.
- It is the borrower’s responsibility to check over the carrier before every use. Check all the buckles, hems and seams ensuring that there are no tears, breaks, cracks or holes. If any damage is discovered please stop using the carrier immediately and contact us.
Safe use of Carriers
- ALL CARRIERS ARE SAFE WHEN USED PROPERLY. HOWEVER, MISSUE CAN CAUSE INJURY TO YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILD. It is the hirer’s responsibility to ensure the carrier is used correctly and that YOUR CHILD IS SAFE AT ALL TIMES WHEN USING THE CARRIER. Harpenden Sling Library cannot be held responsible for any accident that results in the injury or death whilst the carrier is in your care.
- All carriers are provided with instructions for safe use (to be emailed on same day of hire). If, for any reason they are not supplied, it is the borrower’s responsibility to ask for a copy of the instructions. On occasion, we may only be able to provide you with an online link to manufacturer’s instructions; in this case, we will also give you instructions for a similar carrier.
- Read all the safety, use and care instructions provided before use. Carriers must only be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, though where there is a choice we may recommend particular carrying methods and positions.
- We suggest that after familiarising yourself with the instructions. you the practice using the carrier with a doll/teddy/cushion so that you get used to the tying/fastening/adjusting methods
- Ensure that you seat your child correctly in the carrier and check any knots regularly as children do not stay still. Straps and wrap passes can move or become loosened.
- If you feel any pain while carrying your child, change the carrying position or remove the carrier.
- If you are unsure about anything, are not sure what you’re doing or are at all concerned, please ask us. We can point you in the direction of lots of helpful sites to give you tips to make sure you’re getting the best out of the carrier and using it safely.
Care of Carriers
- SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED while wearing or holding the carrier. Please inform us if you are a smoker, or if there is a smoker in your home as we will need to carefully launder the carrier after it is returned. Smoking is known to increase the risk of cot death for babies, and these risks have also been linked to babies being in close contact with clothing or objects contaminated with smoke particles.
- Food and posset marks are expected when carrying children, but please keep the sling away from anything that may stain more permanently.
Please avoid washing the carrier, though do spot clean any marks when they occur using washing up liquid and water. If you feel it is necessary that the carrier is cleaned while on loan to you, please contact us first for advice. Carriers are spot-cleaned and only laundered if necessary as freshly washed carriers will not be as soft or flexible as those that are not.
- We cannot guarantee that there are no animal hairs on our carriers. We ask that all carriers are kept away from pets to minimise this possibility.
Due to unforeseen circumstances the library will not be running on the 5th Nov. Next library will be 12th November, same place, same time
We will not be holding a library the week of half term- 29th October. Next library will be 5th November
Due to family commitments, the session on 30th July has been cancelled. Our last session will be 6th August before we break for summer and return on the 10th September
Our last library for summer will be 6th August 2018 and we will not open until 10th September 2018.
A new law surrounding data protection comes into force on 25th May 2018.
When you loan a carrier from the Harpenden Sling Library, we do ask for your contact details: Name, address, phone number and email address. This information is only used by us to provide you with wearing instructions, terms and conditions of loan and safety information on the slings and baby wearing. We may also contact you directly if the sling hire is overdue. We have not historically contacted our database with any general information on local events, activities or any other marketing material and we do not intend to. We will only keep your information for as long as necessary, or until you advise us to remove you. There may be occasion for us to provide marketing information from third parties, but only if it is relevant subject matter which we deem important, and will only be sent by us directly. You have a right to request a copy of what information we hold about you, and request it is updated as required.
The holidays are nearly upon us and we have decided to take a much needed break to recharge our batteries and spend some precious time with our young families.
The drop in will be open for breastfeeding support as normal on 24 July, with a breastfeeding counsellor present (but no sling library that morning). On 31 July, the sling library will run, and breastfeeding peer support will be available, but volunteer numbers will be lower than normal. Because our holiday plans vary throughout the month, we have decided we will have a break in August to allow us time to recharge our batteries and spend time with our families. Our first session back after the break will be 4 September.
24 July: Breastfeeding support available
31 July: Sling library running, with some breastfeeding support
7 August: CLOSED
14 August: CLOSED
21 August: CLOSED
28 August: CLOSED
4 September: Breastfeeding drop in and Sling Library available
As ever, if you require support with feeding outside of our normal sessions times, the NCT Helpline is open from 8am-midnight on 0300 330 0700